Monday, July 26, 2010

Teaching/eTeaching

I am and always have been essentially a constructivist as a teacher and do not see my work as an eTeacher (is that a word?) any differently, except that there are more options for eLearning. In the classroom my approach was to try and provide as many different ways for my students to learn as I could. Since I have been working primarily with teachers for the last 13 years I have tried to be sure that as much as possible of their experience when I am teaching is hands-on with modeling, and one-to-one support when needed. With the availability of web 2.0 tools it is now possible to provide multiple methods of exposure - seeing, hearing, and hands-on options - as much as possible. The social/collaborative aspect of learning was naturally easier in the classroom than it is on-line but for many is a critical component of their eLearning experience. As an instructor I think it will be a challenge to have opportunities for those on-line students in particular to find a satisfactory level of interaction.
One of the advantages of eLearning to me is the ability to interact more one-to-one. Although that aspect could be a time issue it would seem to be one of the benefits, too. In the classroom there are often individuals who do not require/request as much time as they may need within the time constraints of the class.
Another advantage is for the student to self-pace. That will naturally depend on the self-discipline of the student. :-) One of the interesting things I have found working with adults is that some step up to the work, figure out how to attend class, get their work done, meet deadlines, etc. And some still expect to have the hand-holding provided that they would find outrageous if their own students expected it.

No comments:

Post a Comment